Faldo verde (Green Soup), the national soup of Portugal, also happens to be among the great regional dishes of southeastern New England where it’s also known as “Portuguese soup.” We enjoy this dish during warm summer nights or cold winter days.
- 2/3 pound kale or collard greens, well washed and drained
- 3/4 pound pound Portuguese linguisa or chourico sausage links (slice & quartered).
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound Red or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, halved, quartered and diced (1 inch)
- 6 cups water or chicken stock
- 1 can Red Kidney Beans (drained)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon hot dry red pepper flacks or more to taste (optional)
Now you KNOW we’ve had this day circled on our calendar for quite a while. Whether you know it or not, May 13th is National Apple Pie Day! We at Autumn Harvest Orchard, LLC grow some of the tastiest apples in New England (even if we’re a little biased ourselves).
NATIONAL APPLE PIE DAY National Apple Pie Day, “America’s favorite dessert” , is celebrated annually on May 13th. The first apple pie recipe printed was in England in 1381.
Source: NATIONAL APPLE PIE DAY – May 13
Do you have a favorite Apple Pie Recipe?
Here’s a few of our favorite Organic Apple Pie Recipes, enjoy!
Pi Day is typically celebrated on March 14th, and it’s a day where many celebrate not only Pi, but mathematics and sciences. Being the son of an Electrical Engineer/Teacher, I have a very soft spot in my heart for Mathematics (and Pi). Continue reading Organic Healthy Apple Pie Recipes
Looking for a healthy and tasty salad? Check THIS out!
A dazzling coleslaw salad for your winter festive table. Red cabbage is mixed with apples, carrots, pecans and onions which is then dressed with a tangy mustard and nut vinaigrette – fabulous! Plus, the colours as well as the taste, is amazing! This goes so well with cold cuts, pies, tarts, quiches, buffets as well as being a wonderful supper or light lunch accompaniment.
Source: Dazzling Winter Slaw – Red Cabbage, Apple And Pecan Salad Recipe – Food.com
Make Your Own Winter Apple Jelly in Under 15 Minutes!
Apple Jelly is a delicious snack. You can serve it on flapjacks or make a healthy peanut butter and (apple) jelly sandwich.
- 1 qt apple juice
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 to 6 drops food coloring, optional
- 5-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Continue reading Make Your Own Winter Apple Jelly in Under 15 Minutes!