Faldo verde (Green Soup), the national soup of Portugal, also happens to be among the great regional dishes of southeastern New England where it’s also known as “Portuguese soup.” We enjoy this dish during warm summer nights or cold winter days.
- 2/3 pound kale or collard greens, well washed and drained
- 3/4 pound pound Portuguese linguisa or chourico sausage links (slice & quartered).
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound Red or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, halved, quartered and diced (1 inch)
- 6 cups water or chicken stock
- 1 can Red Kidney Beans (drained)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon hot dry red pepper flacks or more to taste (optional)
Nothing warms the soul like a good scoop of soup. Well, Kale is a superfood full of nutrients with proven health benefits. Even though its a little warm right now, we find a warm bowl of soup a tasty meal on a cool summer night. Here’s one of our favorite recipes.
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 yellow onion, chopped
– 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
– 1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
– 8 cups of water
– 6 cubes vegetable bouillon (such as Knorr)
– 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
– 6 white potatoes, peeled and cubed
– 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans
– 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
– 2 tablespoons dried parsley
– salt and pepper to taste
Prep time is 25 minutes
Cook time is 30 minutes
Ready in 55 minutes!
Here’s the directions
1. Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot; cook the onion and garlic until soft.
2. Stir in the kale and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the water, vegetable bouillon, tomatoes, potatoes, beans, Italian seasoning, and parsley.
4. Simmer soup on medium heat for 25 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked through.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.