Like many small-scale, direct market farmers, Joanne did not grow up on a farm. She grew up gardening at the family home in Massachusetts. After graduating college and joining the military for over 20 years she arrived in Connecticut. Joanne continued her passion by making her vision a reality and purchasing the land that is now called Autumn Harvest Orchards, LLC. Her mission is to provide a healthy legacy for the next generation and agriculture was a means to that end.
Nothing warms the soul like a good scoop of soup. Well, Kale is a superfood full of nutrients with proven health benefits. Even though its a little warm right now, we find a warm bowl of soup a tasty meal on a cool summer night. Here’s one of our favorite recipes.
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 yellow onion, chopped
– 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
– 1 bunch kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
– 8 cups of water
– 6 cubes vegetable bouillon (such as Knorr)
– 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
– 6 white potatoes, peeled and cubed
– 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans
– 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
– 2 tablespoons dried parsley
– salt and pepper to taste
Prep time is 25 minutes
Cook time is 30 minutes
Ready in 55 minutes!
Here’s the directions
1. Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot; cook the onion and garlic until soft.
2. Stir in the kale and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.
3. Stir in the water, vegetable bouillon, tomatoes, potatoes, beans, Italian seasoning, and parsley.
4. Simmer soup on medium heat for 25 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked through.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
We grow fresh, local and natural produce here in Norfolk, Connecticut.
If you’re from the north/western/central Connecticut area, check out our organic orchard! We offer organic and fresh produce to help you stay safe and healthy. Check out where you can buy our produce, where we participate in area farmers’ markets and learn about our partnerships with local retailers and restaurants!
Thank you for your support!
Autumn Harvest Orchard
Thank you for checking out our site. Here at Autumn Harvest Orchard we work hard to provide you with natural, non GMO products that you can be proud to serve your family. We I will be publishing content such as good agricultural practices, tips and tricks to farming (and gardening) as well as recipes you can put on your table.
Looking for a delicious weekend recipe? You’re in luck! We at Autumn Harvest Orchards love providing easy, healthy recipes you can whip up together using nutritious ingredients. Since we’re growing blueberries and zucchini this month, what better recipe to share than a Blueberry Zucchini Bread (or cake) recipe! Continue reading Blueberry Zucchini Bread Recipe