Below are some tips and tricks to keep Connecticut Grown in your kitchen all winter long.
Many farmers’ markets continue through the winter. View the Connecticut 2017/2018 Holiday and Winter markets here.
Store your products.
Hard winter squashes can keep for up to six months in a cool, dry storage space. While canning and freezing are other great options, you can still have fresh squash long into the winter if you stock up now and store it properly, but don’t be tempted to put them in the refrigerator. Check out Oregon State Extension Service’s guide to storing squash at home. Other products that store well include potatoes (make sure you keep them in the dark), radishes (without tops), parsnips, turnips, and many other root vegetables. Continue reading Fresh Veggies in Your Kitchen All Winter Long
Spice up your snacking with some delicious Jalapeño Poppers. This make tasty and healthy treats you can enjoy with a nice cold beverage.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar
- 6 large jalapenos, halved and seeded
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
Continue reading Jalapeno Poppers
This chopped kale salad is fresh and full of those Greek flavors we all love! Perfectly healthy and filling meal.
Yields: 6-8 servings
Prep Time: 20 mins Continue reading Kale Greek Salad
Faldo verde (Green Soup), the national soup of Portugal, also happens to be among the great regional dishes of southeastern New England where it’s also known as “Portuguese soup.” We enjoy this dish during warm summer nights or cold winter days.
- 2/3 pound kale or collard greens, well washed and drained
- 3/4 pound pound Portuguese linguisa or chourico sausage links (slice & quartered).
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound Red or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, halved, quartered and diced (1 inch)
- 6 cups water or chicken stock
- 1 can Red Kidney Beans (drained)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon hot dry red pepper flacks or more to taste (optional)
Have you ever tried Kale Chips? Crunchy and addictive Kale Chips are a great alternative to eating unhealthy and salty chips. Drop the junk food and pick up a nutritional snack that fills your appetite. Continue reading Easy Bake Kale Chips